The Virginia Nelson Playbills Collection – West Side Story

Hello there! Amanda here, reporting from Special Collections Research Center (SCRC.) As some of you may know, SCRC has many collecting strengths – from Transportation, local D.M.V. history, and of course, the Performing Arts, both local to the Washington D.C. Metro Area and across the country. Some highlights from our Continue Reading

The C-SPAN Chronicles: Part VI – Lessons Learned

Hello all! Amanda here with another – and sadly the last – of the C-SPAN Chronicles. I thought it would be fun (and informative!) to reflect on the lessons I’ve learned undertaking and completing the processing portion of this project. It has been quite the journey, and since I began Continue Reading

Virginia Archives Month – REMIX Contest!

Every October is Virginia Archives Month, and here at SCRC we are celebrating with this year’s theme – Spirits in the Archives! We’ll be celebrating all October long, but you can participate early by entering the REMIX contest. Please see our flyer for details – we are looking Continue Reading

The C-SPAN Chronicles: Part V – Cassette Tapes, and DATS, and U-matics, Oh My! or Processing Audiovisual Materials in the C-SPAN Papers Project

Hello all! Amanda here with another edition of the C-SPAN Chronicles. This week I will be discussing the challenges of processing audiovisual materials in archival collections, and the specific challenges I have encountered when processing them in the C-SPAN papers. Let’s go! Imagine you open a box. Inside are various Continue Reading

Travel Series: Hi’iaka

Hello all! Amanda here. I was one of the curators of Special Collection Research Center’s summer exhibition “Around the World in (Almost) 80 Days,” which although now closed, lingers on in this last Travel Series post. During the curation and building of this exhibit, my co-curator Brittney Falter and I Continue Reading