Moving into the Modern Archival Age: Archives Space Implementation – Part 2

In my last post on SCRC’s transition to ArchivesSpace, our new Collections Management System, I talked about the steps we took to prepare our collections data to migrate to the new database. Now, it’s time to get into the migration and the details of how ArchivesSpace will ultimately benefit our Continue Reading

Moving into the Modern Archival Age: ArchivesSpace Implementation – Part 1

In January 2020 (which feels like 8 years ago even though it was only 8 months), SCRC made a big change behind the scenes to the way that we store information about our unpublished collections. Many archival institutions use Collections Management Systems, archives-specific databases that archivists use to keep track Continue Reading

“An die Musik” during COVID-19

As we come to the end of our blog series related to SCRC’s spring 2020 exhibit “Showing Us Our Own Face: Performing Arts and the Human Experience,” it is impossible not to reflect on the way that performance and the performing arts world have changed due to COVID-19. When my Continue Reading

Shattering Stereotypes Instead of Glass: Opera and “Showing Us Our Own Face”

To many 21st century Americans, opera might conjure images of women in horned helmets belting out screechy songs in incomprehensible languages., and shattering panes of glass in the process. This stereotype has its origins in the German composer Richard Wagner’s operas with stories based in Norse mythology, and it is Continue Reading

SCRC at MARAC in Morgantown

Mason’s Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) was well represented at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference (MARAC) in Morgantown, WV last week. Records Management Specialist Nick Welsh attended, Processing Coordinator Amanda Brent served on the Program Committee, and Research Services Coordinator Brittney Falter and I – Manuscripts and Archives Librarian Liz Continue Reading