Establishing Our Identity: George Mason’s Fairfax Campus

This post is part of a four-part series detailing the history of George Mason University from the student perspective. Our initial post, Before We Became George Mason University: Our First Campus at Bailey’s Crossroads, can be read here: https://vault217.gmu.edu/?p=10138 In August 1964 George Mason College moved from Bailey’s Crossroads to Continue Reading

Before We Became George Mason University: Our First Campus at Bailey’s Crossroads, 1957-1964

George Mason College, Bailey's Crossroads, 1961.

George Mason University is celebrating fifty years as an independent university this year, but did you know that Mason was in existence for 15 years prior to April 7, 1972? In February of 1956 the Virginia General Assembly approved Joint Resolution No. 5, establishing a Northern Virginia branch of the Continue Reading

We Are Mason: A Student History

Our university celebrates its 50th Anniversary as an independent institution this year. The above photograph is the only one from that day known to exist. It was most likely taken by a George Mason University (GMU) employee in a department housed in the North Building (today known as Finley) called Continue Reading

The Latest Reincarnation of Fenwick Library, Wing A

Rebecca Thayer, Buchanan Papers Project Archivist, contributed the contemporary photos for this post. Completed in October of 1967, Fenwick Library’s A Wing has withstood the test of time. It opened to patrons in late October 1967 soon after a well-coordinated group of faculty, students, and staff hand carried all of Continue Reading