Student Reflections – Jimmy Luong

This post was written by Jimmy Luong, Processing Student Assistant. Hello, I am a freshman at George Mason University working on my degree as a government major with potentially a focus on international security. I first found out about the Special Collections Research Center when touring the Fenwick Library and Continue Reading

The Price of Going Paperless

Despite the increasing amount of businesses using digital platforms, paper still exists in massive quantities in the records management world. The University Records Center here at Mason houses 12,500 boxes of paper records. In terms of the individual sheets of paper, some calculations estimate we have more than 30 million Continue Reading

Preservation Week

Celebrate preservation awareness week by hosting a build-your-own-book-weight workshop!     Book weights are filled fabric pouches that gently hold your books open while they’re in use to avoid breaking the spines and free up your hands. Sure, you can buy them, but you can also make them. And if Continue Reading

Mahogani Harper: My Experience as a Student Assistant at Special Collection

Working at the Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) as a student assistant has been a unique and enjoyable experience. I’ve met people from many groups and departments at Mason while working at the front desk, and have encountered books that were older than my great grandmother while working in the Continue Reading

Collection in Focus: Egon Verheyen

A few months ago we received almost 550 books donated to us by Gwendolyn White in honor of her husband as part of the Egon Verheyen collection. Dr. Egon Verheyen was a GMU professor of Art History and named a Clarence J. Robinson professor of humanities at George Mason in 1987. He retired in January Continue Reading