Moving into the Modern Archival Age: Archives Space Implementation – Part 2

In my last post on SCRC’s transition to ArchivesSpace, our new Collections Management System, I talked about the steps we took to prepare our collections data to migrate to the new database. Now, it’s time to get into the migration and the details of how ArchivesSpace will ultimately benefit our Continue Reading

SCRC Fall Policies and Procedures

The Libraries’ Special Collections Research Center will be reopening on Monday, August 24 on an appointment-only basis for the Fall 2020 semester. Researchers requesting an appointment will need to know what collections they are interested in, the boxes or books they would like to use, and the estimated amount of Continue Reading

Moving into the Modern Archival Age: ArchivesSpace Implementation – Part 1

In January 2020 (which feels like 8 years ago even though it was only 8 months), SCRC made a big change behind the scenes to the way that we store information about our unpublished collections. Many archival institutions use Collections Management Systems, archives-specific databases that archivists use to keep track Continue Reading

New and Updated Finding Aids

Hello one and all! It’s that time again – finding aid time! The following are new and updated finding aids that you can access on our website. Though our reading room is currently closed, you can still access some of these items digitally! Daniel Monson World War II aviation collection Continue Reading

Chugging Along: My Year Working in SCRC

This blog post was written by Chris Babbitt, Processing Student Assistant and C-SPAN Digitization Project Assistant. Chris holds a Bachelor of Arts in History with a minor in Economics from George Mason University. He is currently pursuing an M.A. in History from George Mason University. I started at Special Collections Continue Reading