Reflections on 9/11 from GMU’s Broadside collection

The events of September 11, 2001 have been on my mind a lot lately. I should explain why that’s unusual for me.  You see, I was only 10 when the planes hit the World Trade Center, and though we lived in New York state at the time, the horror unfolding Continue Reading

NEH Grant for the Buchanan Papers update 

This past spring, the George Mason University Libraries received a grant in the amount of $334,720 from the National Endowment of the Humanities’ Humanities Collection and Reference Resources program for the “Preserving the Legacy of James M. Buchanan” project.   The purpose of this processing grant project is to preserve and make accessible Continue Reading

Chugging Along: My Year Working in SCRC

This blog post was written by Chris Babbitt, Processing Student Assistant and C-SPAN Digitization Project Assistant. Chris holds a Bachelor of Arts in History with a minor in Economics from George Mason University. He is currently pursuing an M.A. in History from George Mason University. I started at Special Collections Continue Reading

Remembering Dr. Alan Merten

There was a buzz around George Mason University’s Fairfax Campus on Monday, April 15, 1996. The Mason community was about to meet the university’s new president-elect in a press conference later that afternoon. Dr. Alan Merten, Mason’s fifth president, was set to officially assume the presidency on July 1, and Continue Reading

Presidents Series: 2012 – 2020 – Ángel Cabrera, Anne Holton, and Looking Forward

This post was written by Lana Mason, Processing Student Assistant. Lana has an Associate of Arts degree in Fine Arts from Piedmont Virginia Community College. She is currently studying Art History at George Mason University. Lana was the recipient of the University Libraries Student Assistant Scholarship for the 2018-19 academic Continue Reading