The Latest Reincarnation of Fenwick Library, Wing A

Rebecca Thayer, Buchanan Papers Project Archivist, contributed the contemporary photos for this post. Completed in October of 1967, Fenwick Library’s A Wing has withstood the test of time. It opened to patrons in late October 1967 soon after a well-coordinated group of faculty, students, and staff hand carried all of Continue Reading

Remembering A. Linwood Holton, Jr.

On Friday April 7, 1972, a group from George Mason College, led by Chancellor Lorin A. Thompson, met with Virginia Governor, A. Linwood Holton, Jr. at his office in Richmond. They were there to witness the Governor’s signing into law Virginia General Assembly Bill H 210 separating George Mason College Continue Reading

Dr. Martin Sherwin: Important Historian of the 20th Century, and Friend to the Libraries.

George Mason University Professor of History, Dr. Martin Sherwin passed away on Wednesday, October 6.  Dr. Sherwin was best known as a scholar of the Cold War and the Nuclear Age. He was a professor in the Department of History at George Mason from 2007 until his passing. He taught Continue Reading

Reflections on 9/11 from GMU’s Broadside collection

The events of September 11, 2001 have been on my mind a lot lately. I should explain why that’s unusual for me.  You see, I was only 10 when the planes hit the World Trade Center, and though we lived in New York state at the time, the horror unfolding Continue Reading

NEH Grant for the Buchanan Papers update 

This past spring, the George Mason University Libraries received a grant in the amount of $334,720 from the National Endowment of the Humanities’ Humanities Collection and Reference Resources program for the “Preserving the Legacy of James M. Buchanan” project.   The purpose of this processing grant project is to preserve and make accessible Continue Reading