Processing from the Outside In: Ann Bakke Buchanan

Black and white photograph of three couples of men and women at a restaurant. The men are in military uniforms.

This blog post was written by Rachel Barton, GRA for the Buchanan Papers processing project and is one in a series about the project. The project is supervised by Buchanan Papers Project Archivist Rebecca Thayer and is grant funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities. When you work in Continue Reading

Processing from the Outside In: Care of Betty Tillman

James M. Buchanan, Betty Tillman, and unlabeled person pose outdoors

This post is one in a series about the Buchanan Papers processing project. The project is supervised by Buchanan Papers Project Archivist Rebecca Thayer and is grant funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities. One of my favorite things about processing is learning about a person or organization through Continue Reading

Establishing Our Identity: George Mason’s Fairfax Campus

This post is part of a four-part series detailing the history of George Mason University from the student perspective. Our initial post, Before We Became George Mason University: Our First Campus at Bailey’s Crossroads, can be read here: https://vault217.gmu.edu/?p=10138 In August 1964 George Mason College moved from Bailey’s Crossroads to Continue Reading

Before We Became George Mason University: Our First Campus at Bailey’s Crossroads, 1957-1964

George Mason College, Bailey's Crossroads, 1961.

George Mason University is celebrating fifty years as an independent university this year, but did you know that Mason was in existence for 15 years prior to April 7, 1972? In February of 1956 the Virginia General Assembly approved Joint Resolution No. 5, establishing a Northern Virginia branch of the Continue Reading

Exploring the Martin Cohen Theater Collection

Eight playbills for different theater shows are laid out on a wooden table.

Recently, I took a turn away from my standard digital work to do something I haven’t done since I was a teeny weeny undergraduate student about….ten years ago (hey, 30s are the new 20s)—PROCESSING! And I got a great collection to jump into.  The materials belonged to a late GMU Continue Reading