Processing from the Outside In: Buchanan’s Writing Process

Black and white photograph. Gordon Tullock sits on a couch in an office listening. To his left, James Buchanan sits on a chair, speaking.

How do you go about the process of writing? Nowadays we can choose from word processing software like Microsoft Word, collaborative tools like Google Docs, or professional-specific programs for screenwriters or mathematicians. For those of us used to the convenience of computers, it’s hard to imagine how the drafting process Continue Reading

Processing from the Outside In: Processing Plan

Hello and welcome back to Processing from the Outside In, where I’ll be sharing with you updates from the James M. Buchanan papers processing project. It’s been six months since I’ve started working on the project, which means we’re one-quarter of the way finished! In my last blog post, I Continue Reading

NEH Buchanan papers project update – introducing GRA Rachel Barton

We are now approaching six months of renewed processing work on the James M. Buchanan papers. A lot of hard work has happened in that time, and Project Archivist Rebecca Thayer has made significant progress and moved into new phases of the project since her last blog post. I’ll let Continue Reading

Processing from the Outside In: The James M. Buchanan Papers

James M. Buchanan surrounded by members of the media.

Hello all and welcome to Processing from the Outside In: a new blog series where I’ll be sharing with you updates from our National Endowment for the Humanities grant to process the papers of James M. Buchanan. I’m Rebecca Thayer, the project archivist for the grant. James M. Buchanan (1919-2013) Continue Reading

The James M. Buchanan Papers Processing Project: Beginnings

Way back in spring 2020 (as noted by SCRC director Lynn Eaton in an earlier post), SCRC received some welcome good news at a moment when it seemed in short supply. We were informed that our application for a National Endowment for the Humanities grant to finish processing the James Continue Reading