New Exhibition in SCRC – Looking Over Our Shoulder: The Cold War in American Culture

Growing up in the 1970s and 1980s, I was extremely conscious of the fact that my country was locked in a contentious rivalry with the U.S.S.R., China, East Germany, Cuba, and the other, in my father’s words, “Godless communist” countries.  This struggle seemed to span all facets of life on earth. In sports, we always […]

Read More »

America’s Dairy Land

This post was written by Emily Rusch, Research Services Assistant. George Mason University’s Special Collections Research Center has a collection of books known as the American Guide Series. This series, which was donated by Herbert Little, has a guidebook for each of the fifty states. I will be focusing on the book about Wisconsin, the […]

Read More »

Black Nationalism, Islam, and Malcolm X

This post was written by Tavia Wager, Research Services Assistant. Malcolm X remains a well-known and controversial leader of the American Civil Rights Movement. Assassinated in 1965, he is remembered for his leadership in the Nation of Islam (NOI), his views on Black Nationalism, and his identity as a Muslim. Although the study of Muslim […]

Read More »

Student Reflections – Andrew Morrison

This post was written by Andrew Morrison, Digitization Intern for the Fall 2018 semester. Andrew has a BA in History from George Mason University. He is currently pursuing his Masters in Applied History with a focus in American History and a specialization in Digital History from George Mason University. I have greatly enjoyed my time […]

Read More »

Around the World in (Almost) Eighty Days

Summer is approaching and travel plans have been made! Special Collections Research Center holds many images and books that represent great travel destinations in the United States and around the world. That is why we have planned a new exhibit – “Around the World in (Almost) Eighty Days: Traveling the Globe with Special Collections” to […]

Read More »
%d bloggers like this: