Last Chance to See: Advances in Science, 1586-1999

We are like dwarfs sitting on the shoulders of giants. We see more, and things that are more distant, than they did, not because our sight is superior or because we are taller than they, but because they raise us up, and by their great stature add to ours.   Continue Reading

Reprocessing the Robert Breen Papers – Part II

Hello all! Amanda here again to chat with you about the Robert Breen papers. As reprocessing continues, I thought I’d share with you some of my favorite records from this collection (my most favorites being the Gloria Swanson and Joan Crawford letters, which you can see here.) Because the majority Continue Reading

The Natural Sciences: The Second Half of Advances in Science!

This post was written by Michael Rynearson, Research Services Assistant. Natural Science is the research and study of organisms in their environment, including animals, plants, and fungi. Historically, natural science was comprised with what we now call biology and geology. Natural scientists learned about the world around them through observation, Continue Reading

Intern With SCRC in Spring 2018!

Special Collections Research Center is offering three internships for the Spring 2018 semester in Digitization, Exhibits, and Transcription for GMU and non-GMU students alike. If you’d like practical experience in special collections, archives, and/or digitization, one of these internships may be ideal for you or someone you know. Details on Continue Reading

Reprocessing the Robert Breen Papers – Part I

Hello all! Amanda here again on Vault 217. Today I will be writing about something that I feel is not often discussed in the archival world – reprocessing! If you’ve read any of my previous blog entries (such as the C-SPAN chronicles, where I discussed archival processing at length) you’ll Continue Reading