Intern With SCRC in Spring 2018!

Special Collections Research Center is offering three internships for the Spring 2018 semester in Digitization, Exhibits, and Transcription for GMU and non-GMU students alike. If you’d like practical experience in special collections, archives, and/or digitization, one of these internships may be ideal for you or someone you know. Details on Continue Reading

Physical Sciences and Mathematics: One Half of Advances in Science!

Advances in Science: Standing on the Shoulders of Giants has two focuses: the natural sciences and the physical sciences and mathematics. This post details items in the the physical sciences/mathematics part.   Mathematics It is commonly accepted that the mathematical sciences begin with Euclid (323 BCE – 285 BCE). While not much is known about the Continue Reading

Advances in Science Exhibit Reception

Please join Special Collections Research Center for our exhibition reception on Tuesday. We will also have a guest speaker, Dr. James Trefil. We are showcasing a variety of materials, such as rare books, photographs and documents that touch on areas such as bioscience, information technology, engineering, and space exploration. If Continue Reading

New Exhibit: Advances in Science, 1586-1999

Bioscience. Space Exploration. Engineering. Information Technology. These are but a few of the rapidly advancing fields of science which affect our modern lives. Achievements in these disciplines have built, and continue to build upon discoveries made by preceding generations of scientists. As Sir Isaac Newton famously wrote, “If I have Continue Reading

Travel Series: Hi’iaka

Hello all! Amanda here. I was one of the curators of Special Collection Research Center’s summer exhibition “Around the World in (Almost) 80 Days,” which although now closed, lingers on in this last Travel Series post. During the curation and building of this exhibit, my co-curator Brittney Falter and I Continue Reading