“Showing Us Our Own Face”: Performing Arts and the Human Experience

Performance is a uniquely human quality. Humans – the only creatures on earth able to conceptualize realities other than the present one – over the millennia have followed the urge to present these realities to each other in a multitude of ways. This need to witness and empathize with the Continue Reading

A Perspective on Fairy Tale Heroines

This post was written by Rocio Ramirez, Graduate Student Reading Room Coordinator. She is a graduate student in the Counseling and Development program here at George Mason. As the cold weather rolls in, I think back to the winters spent indoors reading books by the warm space heater. One of Continue Reading

REMIX!

It’s that time of year again! Virginia Archives Month is in full swing, and so is REMIX! What is REMIX you may ask? [REMIX] is a contest to inspire literal and figurative out-of-the-box ideas for cultural heritage collections. Archives aren’t just about serious research, they can be about serious (or Continue Reading

Sherlock Holmes: The World’s Greatest Detective

This post was written by Colleen Gerrity, Research Services Assistant. “My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people do not know.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, 1892 When you think of the word detective, who comes to mind? Maybe Continue Reading

My First Rare Book School Experience

This past July I, Brittney Falter, Research Services Coordinator, attended my first Rare Book School (RBS) session in Charlottesville, VA at the University of Virginia (UVA). I had been talking to my boss and SCRC’s director, Lynn Eaton, about attending RBS for a while now because I work with a Continue Reading