Green Book: A Movie….and A Book

How does an African-American musician based in New York City navigate an eight-week tour which includes stops throughout the Jim Crow south in 1962? He hires a temporarily out-of-work night club bouncer and former trash truck operator as his driver.  And, along the way, they consult a small booklet called Continue Reading

Mythology and Magic in the Archives

This post was written by Emily Rusch, Research Services Assistant. Ever since Rick Riordan published The Lightning Thief, I have been fascinated with mythology. Growing up, I read Riordan’s series on Greek mythology multiple times and I enjoyed his spin off series exploring Roman and Egyptian mythology. As a college Continue Reading

Wagner’s The Valkyries in Word, Art, and Sound

This post was written by Simone Hawkins, Research Services Assistant. In searching for something new to present on the subject of our July 23 #musicmonday post, I came across two wonderful and unusual books among the assortment of materials in the Special Collections Research Center, Fenwick Library. Both seemingly unrelated, they Continue Reading

From Espionage to Academia: The Hayden B. Peake Historical Intelligence Collection

This post was written by Mike Rynearson, Research Services Assistant. Mike has a Bachelor of Arts degree in International Security from Duquesne University and is currently earning his Masters Degree in International Security from George Mason University. Almost all of us are familiar with the world of espionage and spycraft Continue Reading

Collection in Focus: Egon Verheyen

A few months ago we received almost 550 books donated to us by Gwendolyn White in honor of her husband as part of the Egon Verheyen collection. Dr. Egon Verheyen was a GMU professor of Art History and named a Clarence J. Robinson professor of humanities at George Mason in 1987. He retired in January Continue Reading