The Civil War through the Collis S. Hough letters

Well, hello there! It’s so nice to have you back again.  I have a special treat for you today, and—SURPRISE!—it’s not about C-SPAN! Turns out I do have more than one dimension to my personality and I am capable of talking about other subjects.  (I know, you’re thinking, ‘well…..we’ll see.’) Continue Reading

New and Updated Finding Aids – Part Four

“La Navarraise” opera scene and costume lithographs Four lithographs featuring one scene and three plates of costume designs for the opera “La Navarraise” by Heugel & Cie, Editeurs (Huegel music publishing company) printed circa 1894 in Paris..”La Navarraise,” translated from the French as “The Girl from Navarre” is an 1894 Continue Reading

“Showing Us Our Own Face”: Performing Arts and the Human Experience

Performance is a uniquely human quality. Humans – the only creatures on earth able to conceptualize realities other than the present one – over the millennia have followed the urge to present these realities to each other in a multitude of ways. This need to witness and empathize with the Continue Reading

New and Updated Finding Aids

The SCRC processing team has been hard at work processing and reprocessing collections, which mean (drumroll please)…more new and updated finding aids! Of note, the former Virginia historic documents collection (C0034) has been revamped so that each item will appropriately have its own finding aid and collection number. See below Continue Reading

New Finding Aids

Here are a few collections that SCRC has been hard at work processing in the last few months – all have new, shiny finding aids of their own! Enjoy! The Alan Bowne papers This collection was processed by Amanda Brent. “Alan Bowne was an American playwright and author. Born in Continue Reading