Looking Over Our Shoulder: The Ever Present Fear of Atomic Attack & Atomic Energy

This post is part of a series pertaining to SCRC’s current exhibition, Looking Over Our Shoulder: The Cold War in American Culture. On August 29, 1949 the Soviet Union successfully tested its first atomic bomb. The weapon was similar in design and explosive power to the United States’ “Fat Man” plutonium bomb detonated over Nagasaki, […]

Read More »

Virginia Archives Month 2021 – Activism and Archives

This text was borrowed from the Virginia Archives Month 2021 webpage, written by Amanda Brent. It hardly needs to be said, but 2020 and 2021 have been landmark years for the United States, and the world at large. Not only did 2020 bring a global pandemic, it also brought forth focused attention on racism, bigotry, […]

Read More »

New Exhibition in SCRC – Looking Over Our Shoulder: The Cold War in American Culture

Growing up in the 1970s and 1980s, I was extremely conscious of the fact that my country was locked in a contentious rivalry with the U.S.S.R., China, East Germany, Cuba, and the other, in my father’s words, “Godless communist” countries.  This struggle seemed to span all facets of life on earth. In sports, we always […]

Read More »

Processing from the Outside In: Processing Plan

Hello and welcome back to Processing from the Outside In, where I’ll be sharing with you updates from the James M. Buchanan papers processing project. It’s been six months since I’ve started working on the project, which means we’re one-quarter of the way finished! In my last blog post, I discussed my initial survey of […]

Read More »
%d bloggers like this: