Virginia Archives Month 2021 – Activism and Archives

This text was borrowed from the Virginia Archives Month 2021 webpage, written by Amanda Brent. It hardly needs to be said, but 2020 and 2021 have been landmark years for the United States, and the world at large. Not only did 2020 bring a global pandemic, it also brought forth Continue Reading

New Exhibition in SCRC – Looking Over Our Shoulder: The Cold War in American Culture

Growing up in the 1970s and 1980s, I was extremely conscious of the fact that my country was locked in a contentious rivalry with the U.S.S.R., China, East Germany, Cuba, and the other, in my father’s words, “Godless communist” countries.  This struggle seemed to span all facets of life on Continue Reading

Processing from the Outside In: Processing Plan

Hello and welcome back to Processing from the Outside In, where I’ll be sharing with you updates from the James M. Buchanan papers processing project. It’s been six months since I’ve started working on the project, which means we’re one-quarter of the way finished! In my last blog post, I Continue Reading

Reflections on 9/11 from GMU’s Broadside collection

The events of September 11, 2001 have been on my mind a lot lately. I should explain why that’s unusual for me.  You see, I was only 10 when the planes hit the World Trade Center, and though we lived in New York state at the time, the horror unfolding Continue Reading

NEH Buchanan papers project update – introducing GRA Rachel Barton

We are now approaching six months of renewed processing work on the James M. Buchanan papers. A lot of hard work has happened in that time, and Project Archivist Rebecca Thayer has made significant progress and moved into new phases of the project since her last blog post. I’ll let Continue Reading