This post was written by Leanne Fortney, who began working with us in March as a Graduate Student Assistant within Research Services. Her main responsibilities are safeguarding our materials and assisting patrons with their research needs. She is a mother of two working on her MA in Art History with an interest in Continue Reading
Special Collections & Archives is happy to announce a new exhibition in Fenwick Library’s lobby: Celebrating 95 Years of the League of Women Voters. Also coinciding with Women’s History month, this exhibition features items from the League of Women Voters of the Fairfax Area collection. The collection includes bulletins, pamphlets, meeting minutes, correspondence, photographs, and ephemera. More information about the collection is accessible via the finding aid.
The League of Women Voters was founded in 1920 by Carrie Chapman Catt, a leader in the women’s suffragist movement. Maude Wood Park, another devoted suffragist, became the League’s first president. The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan organization, which encourages citizens to participate actively in government by supporting the party of their choice. It does not support individual candidates, but it does take a position on issues of a local, state, and national scale selected by the membership. The League of Women Voters has taken a particular interest in equal opportunity for women in government, child labor laws, fair housing, and affordable health care.
In Virginia, the League of Women Voters began as the Equal Suffrage League, which worked diligently for the ratification of the nineteenth amendment. The Equal Suffrage League joined the national League of Women Voters, creating a state league. The first local League in Virginia was established in Richmond, followed by chapters in Alexandria and Arlington.
The Fairfax County League was granted full League status in 1948. To indicate that the members belong to more than one governmental jurisdiction, in 1964 the Fairfax County League became the League of Women Voters of the Fairfax Area.
Please visit Fenwick Library to view the exhibit through the month of March.
This post is Part 2 of 2 parts. Part 1 can be read here. Fairfax, Virginia George Mason College’s New Home in 1964 Once moved from its original location in Bailey’s Crossroads, George Mason College would now operate out of it’s new quarters in Fairfax. The first four Continue Reading
This post is Part 1 of 2 parts. Part 2 can be read here. Bailey’s Crossroads, George Mason’s First Campus During the summer of 1957 University of Virginia President Colgate W. Darden announced the University’s temporary leasing of an old elementary school building at Bailey’s Crossroads, Virginia. This building would Continue Reading