Cookbooks as a Journey through Time

This post was written by Colleen Gerrity, Reference Assistant. For the past three months, the people of the United States have stayed home due to the ongoing pandemic. Going to your favorite restaurant for a nice meal or socializing at a coffee-shop is temporarily a thing of the past. Now Continue Reading

A Perspective on Fairy Tale Heroines

This post was written by Rocio Ramirez, Graduate Student Reading Room Coordinator. She is a graduate student in the Counseling and Development program here at George Mason. As the cold weather rolls in, I think back to the winters spent indoors reading books by the warm space heater. One of Continue Reading

Sherlock Holmes: The World’s Greatest Detective

This post was written by Colleen Gerrity, Research Services Assistant. “My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people do not know.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, 1892 When you think of the word detective, who comes to mind? Maybe Continue Reading

My First Rare Book School Experience

This past July I, Brittney Falter, Research Services Coordinator, attended my first Rare Book School (RBS) session in Charlottesville, VA at the University of Virginia (UVA). I had been talking to my boss and SCRC’s director, Lynn Eaton, about attending RBS for a while now because I work with a Continue Reading

Eleanor in the Archive: An Examination of the Historiography of Eleanor of Aquitaine

This post was written by Tavia Wager, Research Services Assistant. Eleanor of Aquitaine has been examined by many historians, chroniclers, and story tellers over the centuries, but in many ways she remains far more legendary than historical. George Mason University’s (GMU) Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) houses many works which Continue Reading