Jewish American Heritage Month – George and Ira Gershwin

In 2006, President George W. Bush proclaimed that the month of May in the United States would officially be known as Jewish American Heritage Month (JAHM) – a month to celebrate the significant and varied contributions of Jewish Americans to American culture. The proclamation of JAHM was the long-awaited success Continue Reading

Reprocessing the Robert Breen Papers – Part II

Hello all! Amanda here again to chat with you about the Robert Breen papers. As reprocessing continues, I thought I’d share with you some of my favorite records from this collection (my most favorites being the Gloria Swanson and Joan Crawford letters, which you can see here.) Because the majority Continue Reading

Reprocessing the Robert Breen Papers – Part I

Hello all! Amanda here again on Vault 217. Today I will be writing about something that I feel is not often discussed in the archival world – reprocessing! If you’ve read any of my previous blog entries (such as the C-SPAN chronicles, where I discussed archival processing at length) you’ll Continue Reading

The Swing Mikado: Gilbert and Sullivan Reinvented in 1938

Here in the Special Collections Research Center, we are gearing up for #GandS2017 – our celebration of all things Gilbert and Sullivan, culminating in the opening of an exhibit of materials from the David and Annabelle Stone Gilbert and Sullivan Collection. One of Gilbert and Sullivan’s popular comic operas is The Continue Reading

Russian Ballet in Paris 1909 – 1921

Collection des plus beaux numéros de Comœdia illustré et des programmes consacrés aux ballets & galas russes, depuis le début à Paris, 1909-1921 (Sp.Col. GV1787 .B7 1922) is a recent acquisition for our rare book collection. The book is a visually exciting French language collection of programs for Ballets Russes Continue Reading