"Even if you can't cook, you can make a JELL-O dessert"

My coworker and I recently finished putting together a new exhibit on display here in Fenwick Library on “hidden treasures” at SC&A. Our focus was to showcase some of the more unusual pieces in our various collections. In researching material for inclusion in this exhibit I knew I wanted to include a cookbook from our wonderful Rosemary Poole Collection of cookbooks. Most of more than 200 books are 19th and early 20th century tomes of culinary delight. It was a difficult decision, but ultimately, you can’t go wrong with Jell-O.

Jell-O Cookbook Cover

Jell-O Cookbook Cover

This cookbook (really more of a pamphlet) is undated, but it was printed when Jell-O was still a product of the Genesee Pure Food Company. This dates it to 1923 or earlier, probably in the late teens. The cookbook is fully illustrated, with numerous essays extolling the virtues of Jell-O, and its ease of use among the culinarily challenged.

Recipes

Recipes

Some of the recipes seem pretty good, such as the Berry Frappe or the Marble Jell-O. Other recipes, such as the Prune Souffle or the Stuffed Tomato Salad, I suspect will only appeal to those with a more discriminating palate.

Multiple Desserts

Multiple Desserts